Sunday, September 29, 2013

Random Thoughts: Marley and Me

It's a lazy Sunday. I turned my laptop on and watch Marley and Me. It was a fun movie focusing on a couple who just started their marriage life. They decided to get a puppy. Marley, the labrador dog, became part of the Grogan family. He grows up with them. But it left me heartbroken when Marley passed away.

I had a fair share of sad moment like this. I was in high school when our dog, Exerion, gave birth to a number of puppies. The white-coated one with black-colored circles around the eyes was mine. I named him Yankee. He was a sickly puppy but I became responsible and he was well-taken care of. I feed him before I eat, give him a bath before I do, pet him before I go to school and soon after I get home. He has grown stronger and healthier. 

Until one day, I saw him lying outside the house. I came from school and was so ecstatic to play with him. I run towards him thinking he was just sleeping but he didn't respond. He wasn't moving a bit and when I knew he was breathless, I burst into tears and cried confusedly. When I calmed down,  mom told me he got out of the gate that morning when Im off to school and he was accidentally hit by a tricycle. It really broke my heart that up to this day, I don't own a pet.

I also remember when my sister's love dog, Munchies, died. It was a mournful moment. It was hard to look when she was trying to revive the dog telling her how sorry she was for taking her for granted for the last several days because of her busy schedule. I just can't erase that scene when she was cuddling that lovely mini pinscher in her arms, saying her last words to her until its last breath.
I feel for my sister, munchies was a sweet, lovely dog and it's just so heartbreaking to let go of a pet that's already a part of the family.

In remembering all of our pets that brought us joy and gave us all their love, loyalty, and companionship, I dedicate this quote from the movie Marley and Me:
"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. It was really quite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticated, have always had trouble figuring out what really counts and what does not. As I wrote that farewell column to Marley, I realized it was all right there in front of us, if only we opened our eyes. Sometimes it took a dog with bad breath, worse manners, and pure intentions to help us see."
— John Grogan

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...